Why Carpet Underlay Is Crucial To Your Purchase
You may feel that underlay is an unncecessary extra when buying a carpet, but in truth, it is essential for the longevity of your carpet. It increases comfort levels, depth of feel and the life of the carpet by up to 40% longer. The main benefits are:
- Cushioning - for extra comfort
- Shock absorption - softens under foot
- Acoustic - helps sound proof your home
- Insulating - helps keep your home warm, reducing your utility bills
We have various types of underlays for different areas of the home:
- Crumb Rubber - for durability. Best for Hall/Stairs/Landings, Living Rooms & Dining Rooms and minimising indents.Made of recycled car tyres. Each sq. metre contains at least 1 car tyre.
- Crumb/Felt - As above but with a felt topping of recycled wool giving a slightly softer feel and ideal for woven carpets such as Axminsters and Wiltons.
- PU Foam - good for Bedrooms where extra comfort is required and for extra warmth they have good Tog ratings as well as increased impact sound ratings. Also made from recyled materials. In this case, off cuts of foam from the furniture trade.
- For underfloor heating - a sponge rubber underlay with .75 togs. The lower tog rating allows the warmth to pass quickly into the room.
- Underlays for wood/laminates or click system floors - these are thinner that the traditional carpet underlays and help with impact sound reduction, some having built-in DPM's.
An underlay helps preserve and lengthen your carpets life span, whilst protecting it from indentations that could be caused by heavy furniture and the pounding of feet. The underlay helps cushion the carpet and will reduce any permanent markings that would incur without carpet underlay, because your new carpet is being pressed against the hard sub flooring and has no way of releasing the pressure against it. All carpets feel more luxurious with an underlay.
Many people will keep their original carpet underlay to save time and money when fitting new carpet flooring, but underlays deteriorate over time causing stretching of the carpet so we recommend that you purchase new carpet underlay so that you can fully protect and preserve your brand new flooring.
Call in to our Axminster showroom to discuss with one of our friendly team members which underlay is best for you after you have purchased your new flooring.